Rendang is an Indonesian dish made with coconut milk, spices and commonly beef. This recipe is more of a wet rendang (kalio), meaning it is cooked shorter.
1 pointed cabbage and
300g white mushrooms into pieces.
- Fry the cabbage and mushrooms in some oil for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Mix in a food processor until you get a smooth bumbu:
3 shallots or onions
2 cloves of garlic
4 cm ginger root
1 tbsp sambal oelek or double for spiciness
½ cup raw cashew nuts
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground lemon grass, alternatively named sereh
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
- Fry the bumbu for a few minutes in some oil.
- Add to the bumbu:
400 ml coconut milk
¼ pack (50g) of coconut cream, alternatively named santen
1 tsp bouillon powder or just salt
- Let the sauce simmer for 10 min.
- Add the veggies and let it simmer for another 10 min.
- Add at least
1 tbsp lemon juice, and adjust to taste with more salt and pepper.
- It's hard to blend cashew nuts into a sauce using a big food processor. One way to solve this is by soaking the cashews nuts a few hours in advance in hot water. My go-to method is grinding the cashew nuts (without water) in a small food processor bullet and then mixing them in with the rest of the bumbu.
- I often use this bouillon in recipes. Be careful not to overdo it, since it's full of salt and MSG (E621), but I like it in just the right amount.
- This recipe is based on another recipe. I adjusted it in order to shorten the time needed to cook.
💡 Also check out the The Vegan Index, where I've listed several posts and recipes.